Guys, don’t you see what we’ve done?! Together, we traveled through time (the slow way, of course) from last Wednesday – when it seemed like Halloween was around the corner – to today – when it truly is.
We are among the magicians.
Another magical truth is that the Jezebel ghost story thread I told you was probably coming did indeed appear. I actually got to the bottom of the thread today (UNPRECEDENTED) after several serious afternoons of applying myself, though of course there are about 200 unapproved comments pending, so I suppose it will continue to grow and fester and terrify us into leaving the lights on at all hours.
(Dave’s response whenever he sees me reading it: “You look very stern. Wait, what are you reading? That? AGAIN?”)
Because our apartment building is a veritable fortress, I don’t expect many (any) trick-or-treaters, and I’m having to find my Halloween fun in other ways. As such, I have a cornucopia (fall-appropriate!) of spooky links to offer, in case you, too, are feeling just a little too psychologically stable.
– The Jezebel ghost story thread, AGAIN, OF COURSE. IN CASE YOU MISSED IT BEFORE.
– Benjamin Percy reading Goodnight Moon in…not the way we’ve come to expect
– “The Thing on the Fourble Board” from Quiet, Please (1948) (via the Tumblrs of Benito Cereno & Kate Beaton)
– A terrifying tale of hitchhiking gone very nearly awry
– Chevalier’s Budoir (I think they mean Boudoir?)
– A bunch more scary shorts collected by iO9
– If you haven’t started listening yet: the Welcome to Nightvale podcast (But really, you’re listening already, right?)
Now: never sleep again, friends! You can all keep me company. Remember: if you DO fall asleep, you’re just setting yourself up to awaken in the black of night and see a something terrible…something that cannot be unseen.